Slow Cooker Mexican Pinto Beans

Slow Cooker Mexican Beans

As I mentioned in my menu plan for this week, my 3-year-old son’s favorite food ever is beans. Mexican-style pinto beans, actually, although he likes black beans, too. Lucky for me, they are easy to make and quite frugal, too. I make a large batch in my slow cooker and freeze any that we don’t eat in about a week (except that I can’t remember the last time there were any left to freeze). One recipe makes about 11 or 12 cups of cooked beans and uses 4 1/2 cups (about 1 2/3 pounds) of dry beans. Since I buy a huge 25-pound bag of pinto beans at Costco for about $15 (that’s $0.60/pound), my 11-12 cups of cooked beans cost a grand total of $1.00. If you add in generous estimates for the onion, salt, garlic and spices (another $1.00) and maybe $0.20 worth of electricity for the 9-hours-on-high cook time (I could do the math but somebody else estimated it for me), that’s $2.20 for the equivalent of about 6 cans of beans, except that these beans are BPA-free, less salty, use fresh ingredients and taste about 17 times better.

pinto beans, onion, garlic, spices and salt

mixing it up

The beans at the beginning of the soak
ready to soak

The beans after soaking for about 8 hours
after 8 hours of soaking

There are lots of things you can do with these beans once they’re cooked. We like to put them on taco salad or in burritos instead of meat for a vegetarian meal. They are wonderful in quesadillas with cheddar cheese, too. If you’re up for a little more work, you can use a potato masher to make them into “refried” beans, adding a little cooking water until you reach your desired consistency. These are good as a side dish for a Mexican meal or as a base for bean dip with sour cream, cheddar cheese and salsa.

You can certainly vary the amounts of the ingredients to your liking. My husband and I  would prefer a little more chili powder, but my 3-year-old disagrees. I find that the 6 teaspoons of salt is plenty to make the beans flavorful but isn’t as much as the original recipe (7 1/2 teaspoons). (And don’t worry, you’re not actually consuming all that salt since you are likely not drinking all the bean cooking water along with your beans.) And about the soaking – you don’t have to soak the beans overnight (or for any particular length of time). I personally think soaking for about 8 hours helps increase their digestibility, but it doesn’t decrease cooking time. I’ve done both; do as you like. I’ve also tried waiting to add the salt until an hour or two before the beans are done (for potentially faster cooking or softer skins) but haven’t noticed a difference either way.

Slow Cooker Mexican Pinto Beans

adapted from a recipe from my friend Laura

4 1/2 cups dry pinto beans
1 onion, chopped
1 to 2 Tbsp minced garlic, or approximately 3 to 6 cloves
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
6 tsp sea or Kosher salt
approximately 13 cups water for soaking
approximately 13 cups water for cooking

The night before, look through the dry beans, removing any stems or pebbles. Rinse them and place them in a bowl with about 13 cups of water to soak overnight. To save time in the morning, I like to go ahead and cut up the onion, mince the garlic, measure out the spices and put all these into a container in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, drain the soaking water and rinse the beans again. Place beans and all other ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Fill the slow cooker to about 1/2 inch from the bottom rim with water, or about 13 cups. Cook on HIGH for about 8 1/2 to 9 hours or until the beans are easily cut with a fork and the consistency is to your liking.

If you have a smaller slow cooker, just scale the recipe for your cooker. This recipe pretty much fills up the 6-quart slow cooker that I have, so if you have a 3-quart slow cooker, make half the recipe. (You can also make half or any other portion of the recipe in the larger slow cooker if you don’t need quite that many beans.)

the makings of a burrito

I am sharing this post on Pennywise Platter Thursday over at The Nourishing Gourmet.

This entry was posted in Recipe and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Slow Cooker Mexican Pinto Beans

1. These photos are beautiful. Nicely done :)

2. Kim Young says:

Good job, the whole thing is done so well. The pictures are beautiful and the instructions are so thorough.. Keep it up !!

3. The Austins says:

If those are the beans I smelt yesterday when I stopped by, I am making them! Yum! I

4. The Austins says:

I soaked the beans last night and they are in the crock pot now. Yeah!

5. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan, 11/10 to 11/17 | Thoughtful Kitchen

6. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan, 11/17 to 11/23 | Thoughtful Kitchen

7. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan, 12/15 to 12/21 | Thoughtful Kitchen

8. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan, 12/27 to 1/4 | Thoughtful Kitchen

9. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan, 2/2 to 2/8 |

10. Pingback: 7 Day Sugar Fast Menu Plan | T-Tapp Workout Routines|Fitness for Real Women|Online Fitness Coaching for Moms|T-Tapp|Kayla Howard|Eliminate Cellulite and Stretch Marks

11. Bree says:

Hey Michelle, just wanted to let you know that these have become our household favorite, definitely my go-to recipe for beans!

12. Pingback: Money Tips - Just another WordPress site

13. Pingback: 25 Tasty Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes | JACOb5's Reviews

14. Pingback: 25 Tasty Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes | WebProject

15. Pingback: 25 Tasty Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes | PFS

16. Charlene says:

Thanks for this super easy and delicious recipe, I think I will be making these a LOT!

17. Tony Ross says:

Tried recipe very good. I added 3x Chili powder, 2 chili peppers, and Apple wood smoke seasoning. It still had the mild flavor , but a more rustic country taste.

18. Kim says:

This seems like a de~lious recipe, going to make these slow cooker beans on Christmas 2012. We are have our traditional vegan Christmas Dinner: tamales, rice, and beans. keep ya posted

19. Pingback: Done with the Season | Blueberries and Oats

20. Allison says:

I’ve just made these beans and they are really yummy! It’s so nice to find a recipe using dried beans…cheaper, healthier, and much less waste produced. The only thing I did differently (besides halving the recipe) was to add a bit of fresh lime juice in the last hour, juice of 2 segments. Thanks for the recipe, these will go great for the burritos I’m about to stock our freezer with.

21. Pingback: Permission | Blueberries and Oats

22. Laurie C says:

I would LOVE to share this in my e-newsletter this week! Would that be okay? I would give you credit and a link back to your blog! Thanks!!

• Michelle says:

Yes, that is fine! (And thanks for sharing in a way that is honest and respects copyright! There are lots of people who don’t, many without even realizing. :) )

23. Jeannie says:

I love this recipe. I googled a Mexican pinto bean recipe and found yours!!!! I’ve made it twice. The first time I cooked them longer and they were almost like re-fried beans and everyone though they were supposed to be that way. Then last night I made them again and they were perfect!!! Thank you for this delicious recipe!!!!!

24. Katja says:

The experimentation to create a new taste is always in the offing to create a market.
    We need to not listen to our doctor who will be very
    helpful and write a prescription for almost anything to help you live with your diabetes.

13) Chain Giants like Domino’s and Papa Johns spend 90 percent of their advertising budget for TV commercials.

my site: papa johns promo codes (Katja)

25. Clark says:

There are so many different electric shavers on the market that finding the right one can
    be a daunting task. It is the ideal tool for keeping your face
    clean and hygienic. Yes, this new Braun Series 7 790cc shaver is the latest in high-tech shaving.

Take a look at my blog best electric razor – Clark

26. This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Thanks!

Feel free to visit my weblog Garcinia Cambogia Benefits

27. Gwendolyn says:

When all else fails, you can always call your favorite shop and ask
    what pizza deals they are offering. The different culinary preparations are usually characterized by
    lots of vegetables, pulses and spices. Their style of toppings
    is what makes the pizzas delicious.

My page: papa johns promo code (Gwendolyn)

28. Heather Hite says:

Cant wait to make these on Tuesday!!! Love the step by step stuff and the reviews seeing that these we great cant wait :)

29. What’s up everyone, it’s my first go to see at this web site, and post is genuinely
    fruitful in support of me, keep up posting such content.

my website electric violin easier play than acoustic